Reported on Sunday in China, a mysterious viral pneumonia outbreak that has affected 59 people, it was not the flu-like virus SARS that killed hundreds more than a decade ago.
The viral infection was first reported last week in Wuhan, which is a central Chinese city with a population of over 11 million, leading to online speculation about a resurgence of the highly contagious SARS virus.
The Wuhan health commission said, “We have excluded several hypotheses, in particular the fact that it is a flu, an avian flu, an adenovirus, respiratory syndrome severe acute (SARS) or Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS),”
On Wednesday, Wuhan police said that they had punished eight people for “publishing or forwarding false information on the internet without verification”.
According to the health commission statement 7 of the 59 patients are seriously ill but that none have died. All the effected patients are being treated in quarantine.
That viral infection broke out between 12 and 29 December, with some of the patients busy at a seafood market in the city that has since been closed for disinfection.
Up till now, No obvious evidence of human-to-human transmission has been found so far, it further added.